Rambling...

From my brain to your screen.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fresh, healthy, Corn Soup

Today I went to Meadow Lake with a few friends from the department.  It was lovely...I worked a little on the diss.  Then I came home and cooked.  After I went to the grocery store.  I think I am on a corn kick.  Corn soup was the meal for the week.  I also cooked up some sweet brown rice (sticky rice) that I am going to dish up with some sauteed veggies.  I used a modified corn soup receipe.  It was an experience to say the least.  I really, really, really need a new, bigger food processor. 

Here is what I ended up using in the soup. 

4 ears of fresh corn (local)
1 medium/large potato (grown in this here state!)
1 medium onion (I used two small, one red, and one white from the farmers market)
1 TBS organic butter
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups of veggie broth


Here's what I did:

First, get the corn off the cob.  This was interesting.  I used a knife.  Some of it got on my cutting board...some of it all over my kitchen.  Note: this was a theme with this soup.

Put that to the side.

Chop the onion and the potatoes.  I cut the potatoes in about inch squares.

Put the onion in a pan with the butter and the salt.  Sautee.

Put the onions, broth, and potatoes in a bigish pot and cook for 10 minutes at a boil.

At about 10 minutes add the corn and cook for another 2 minutes.

Then take your food processor.  NOTE if you have a small food processor drain the veggie mixture out!!!  Take the veggies (or the veggies and broth if you have a big processor) and process to a puree. 

If you put the soup mixture in the processor that is too small it will end up all over your kitchen...360 degrees style.  Trust me, I know. 

Mix it all together and you have a pretty good damn soup. 
The recpie on line says you can add cilantro, avocado, or some kind of chille...or something as a garnish when you serve it on top.  I make it for the week, so I haven't tried it with this but I bet it is good! 


This soup is pretty tasty.  It can be served cold or hot.  Delicious!  Enjoy.

(The pictures don't do the taste justice, so they are not included.)


No comments:

Post a Comment